Is Your Parent Ready for Assisted Living? Ask Yourself These Questions…
It’s easy to overlook signs of decline in older adults, so ask yourself the following questions to help you determine if your parent is ready for assisted living:
- Is your parent telling you that he is eating, but you’re seeing food go bad in the refrigerator?
- Is your parent covering up bruises from falling that he or she doesn’t want you to see?
- Have you seen your parent wearing the same clothes when you go to visit?
- Does your parent hear strange noises in the night?
- When you look around the house or yard, is it as neat and clean as it used to be?
- Is your parent able to take medications correctly?
- Does your parent respond appropriately to an emergency?
- When you really look at your parent, do you see the bright and vibrant person from years ago, or do you see a more limited person who needs some help one hour a day, three hours a day, or around the clock?
If you answered yes to even a couple of these questions, your parent may be ready for an assisted living facility.